[OM] Re: Fungus data - reply to Dan

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus data - reply to Dan
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:56:37 -0400
I just did a Google to confirm my microbiology lessons of long ago. Turned up a couple of scientific studies where growth of common fungus (e.g. wood mold which is typical of the entire family) is plotted against culture temperature. By the time you get to 38°C, or less, growth of mold is STOPPED. Two messages from these plots (sent to CH Ling): elevated temperature STOPS growth of mold in ambient humidity; and, that maximum temperature is ~ 40°C, safely within the normal operating range of photographic equipment. No need to cook your gear or run up an electric bill. Fungi don't like being warm or dry.

Found confirmation that my homemade trick of fast drying of Silica Gel in a sock in a microwave is valid. Simple answers, cheap insurance and huge ROI.
Can send the plots if desired.
Best.
Bill