Re: [OM] Re: Fungus data - reply to Dan

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Fungus data - reply to Dan
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:25:52 -0400
Silica gel is a very simple inorganic compound, but there are some proprietary formulations with respect to the particle size etc. 'Premium' versions have a color indicator - - believe it is an organic dye, but name escapes me at the moment - - which indicates degree of saturation by color change. Reviewed several pdf files available on the web last night. There is no fundamental reason the basic silica gel can not be recycled ad infinitum. The organic dye indicator, as would be expected from an organic, tends to degrade with repeated heating cycles. While there may be some change in the physical configuration of the granules, this does not appear to adversely impact the effectiveness. I buy bulk material, pour it into a cotton sock so thickness is about 2cm or less then knot the end - - and the toes if holes present! Nothing glamorous here....... Most people feel compelled to pour the gel granules into a pan then heat at circa 300° in an oven to dry. Too much fussing for me. I have been placing the filled sock on a plate in the microwave and heating for some arbitrary time, circa 3-5 minutes. I then remove and rock up and down to provide some circulation and let the moisture evaporate from the cotton sock. If the sock remains damp, just repeat. (VERY scientific :^)), but extremely effective and QUICK. Once dried, I store in a large glass soup pot with a lid. When packing a camera bag in rainy weather or for an extended trip, I just use the silica gel socks to pad lenses, camera, etc. in my gear bag.

Was hesitant to mention the microwave drying earlier lest the slings and arrows never end. This is kitchen science, not a procedure known to be 'certified'. All bless the web. Found a pdf file on the web from one of the large suppliers which gives all and infinitely more that one would ever want to know about reclamation of silica gel. This document verifies that microwave heating is effective albeit more difficult to titrate. An old cotton sock, bulk silica gel and a microwave - - - pragmatic, cheap and effective. The microwave drying cycle is so quick and easy that even I can tolerate!!.

I'll send the other data later. It is in HTML and PDF and not sure if it can be distributed on the newsletter. Can someone tell me if a small PDF file will fly???
Hope this helps.