Re: [OM] Polaroid remote 7020/7030

Subject: Re: [OM] Polaroid remote 7020/7030
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:10:16 +0100
In article , Hughes <hi100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I don't know anything about the Polaroid units but you might open one up and check who made the transmitter ic. Usually these single chip designs are of the "garage door opener" variety. Often the older units operate in the unlicensed band ~315MHz. A very popular old chipset was made by National semi-conductor, so the application notes on their website will help you figure out range etc. More recent vendors are Micrel,Maxim Semi. etc Newer units often run in the unlicensed 900MHz ism band. You can buy modern postage stamp size complete hybrid transmit and recieve devices from companies like LYNX Technologies, very inexpensively which only need a 6 in wire antenae and 3V battery to get 100ft+ range. You would have to add a Fet transistor to the output to operate the winder. Digikey sells the devices by mail order and the Lynx website has good
application notes.

That is the route I took, using a Motorola module and key fob for a car alarm control. The receiver output is a power rail pulse which I wired to drive a FET shorts the terminals of the motor drive jack lead when switched on. The whole receiver unit fits into a small box slightly larger than the PP-3 battery it uses for power, complete with a solid antenna which operates the on-off micro-switch when it is extended, and a red LED on indicator. The unit plugs into the 2.5mm socket on the motor drive. The range depends on the key-fob used, but the one I selected works at well over 100yds, though I have never used it "in anger" at that range, just tested it.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers