Re: [OM] Lens caps

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens caps
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:32:53 -0300
on 13/08/2003 22:11, whunter at whunterjr@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Spores are EVERYWHERE.
Yes they are.

on 14/08/2003 00:57, C.H.Ling-Accura at chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I know very well that the best way to prevent fungus is
> to use them more,
The more you use them, the more spores they get.

Then question is how to impede their reproduction and their feeding.

Reproduction stopped by heat and dryness has been already referred.
I doubt exposing them to light by itself (well, uv light can rise questions
about intensity of uv exposure by itself and its relation to temperature
increase) has any effect since they don't have clorophylle; I think they are
indifferent to light exposure (some dermatologic fungi diseases are evident
only when person is exposed to sunlight) but they avoid growing on sunny
places just because of temperature and dryness.
Since they feed from organic matter, the more dirt inside a lens the more
food they have.

on 14/08/2003 04:56, whunter at whunterjr@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> that maximum temperature is ~ 40°C,  safely within the normal
> operating range of photographic equipment.
Well another question rises here because this temperature range may make
focusing ring lubrication more fluid, I think.

IMHO,

Fernando.