Re: [OM] OT An observation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT An observation
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:25:34 -0700

>And whoever spoke up for those for whom English is not their second
>language - well said.  I could not even begin to piece together a coherent
>sentence in another language (I'm ashamed to say) let alone create one that
>could not be misconstrued in any way.

I can only imagine the problems people may have learning English. Let me
share a story at my own expense while learning a bit of spanish.....
Miel is the spanish word for honey. But in some areas miel is also the
word for an extract of cane. So honey from bees, miel de abejas,  must
be specified. Unfortunately abejas sounds to an english speaker's ear
very similar to ovejas, sheep. So imagine the laughter when I go into
the store and ask for miel de ovejas. Took  awhile to live that one down.

mike