[OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:33:42 +1200
Hi all,

One of the two reasons I have an interest in inkjet printers is that I suspect
they produce a different looking print than analogue or digital printing on
photo paper.

Why? art galleries here seem to have an aversion to displaying photos, even
those that are "arty"; but some are prepared to hang giclee prints, and these
are merely a very expensive form of inkjet print.

And I want to have some of my best prints hanging in a gallery.

But, I have to say, I have not yet actually seen an inkjet print. I have no
means as of yet to compare any of my favourite "wall-hanging-suitable"
digital prints with an ink-jet job.  The other aspect is that (according to
some
vendors such as Epson) the durability of ink-jet prints may be as much as 20
years.

An alternative that I am investigating is that there are some people here who
one way or another mount a standard print on a backing that provides a
chosen degree of texture. This technique may be more attractive to galleries.

Brian