Re: [OM] Re: An opinion...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: An opinion...
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:27:18 -0400
Lee and George,

It is good to see your comments again on this list. I know I haven't been on the list as long as Lee and some of his era, but possibly as long as George - except for a year's absence soon after the blowup on list after 9/11.

It seems to me that those who started this list accomplished what they set out to do, that is discover all things OM. In the time I have been on the list we have moved and updated the server, changed the list to member only posting, Started the TOPE, changed the amount of input the moderator as had to use as host of this list, had an esif produced, started a web ring of Olympus sites, etc. I think we have rehashed our knowledge base so many times over the years, for the benefit of newcomers, that it has taken the interest out of the discussion. We had become like old men sitting around telling war stories. It has gotten to the point we don't even refer people to the archives when an oft repeated thread returns!

This list has definitly changed. Now it is more a list of buddies, who share a common interest, chatting about life in general. Now, a bit of new blood, or fresh air, if you will, has come to our list in the form of digital cameras, scanners, software, etc. We have the choice of adding this area of interest to the list, or of splitting off into separate list discussion groups.

But we have been there and done that! Remember how we split several years ago into a separate list for for sale or wanted announcements? It didn't work. Right now there is another list at Olympusinfo.com that caters more toward the digital spectrum that is also not very effective. I would really be surprised if this time it will work to split the group, either. Something about the personalities of Olympus users seems to shape the list into what it currently is.

Personally, I now delete almost all discussions we have had more than two times in the 3 1/2 years I have been on the list. If I want that information I put my esif in or head for Lee's site, or one of the other bookmarked sites I have gleaned from this list.

As we used to say,  just my 2 cents worth,

gregg

btw, what ever happened to Lex Jenkins, Doris Fang, etc ............?

I strongly agree with you on this point. I brought up the fact over
two years ago that this list was meant to be an OM list from it's
onset and not a list for all things Olympus. Of course a few newbys
had to set me straight. I slipped into the lurk mode at that point
and rarely post.

I would like to see the list return to The OM System and have the non
OM, digital, point and shoot, printer, scanner and other non OM
chatter find it's own direction and leave this list as it was set up
to be in the first place.