Re: [OM] An opinion...

Subject: Re: [OM] An opinion...
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:22:50 +0100
Hi,

Firstly - good to see Lee "back" here again.  I wasn't around when you were
here before (I think) - I only joined about 2 years ago.  And it was thanks
to your website, and a few links to / from it, that I eventually found this
list.  And I am extremely glad I did.  Not just for the OM info I get, but
also for the improvements I have made in my own photography thanks to the
words and inspiration / web sites of many people here.

As someone who has not been here that long, in the grand scheme of things, I
don't want to push my point too far.  But as everyone is throwing in their 2
pence / cents / whatever I'll add mine.

I heartily agree with the posts that this list has evolved.  Personally, I
feel that this is good.  To me it is more than an Olympus List - it is a
place I can share ideas and thoughts about photography in general (or indeed
about life in general / donuts / etc as has been proved recently).  Most
importantly, it is a list where we can share these thoughts, discussions,
etc., with people here who have become friends - or at least as far as one
can become friends on an email list.

The level of personal support that comes out of this list, which I don't
believe would be present if the list had stayed as a purely OM list (no
off-topic, etc.) is unknown to me on any other Email List / internet group /
etc.  People offering loans of equipment to people they have never met, for
example.  This would not have come about were it not for the relaxed,
friendly, informal "chatty" atmosphere on here.  Granted, this can cause the
occasional spat, but it seems to die down fairly quickly.

My only request, which may possibly be considered as some kind of
compromise, is that we all CLEARLY label each post in the subject line.
Some kind of code would be good (eg: [OT], {DIG], etc.) if everyone could
stick to it.  We would have to define this in advance, and maybe post it to
newbies with a "try to follow this if you can to keep everyone happy" type
of note.  This would make it easier for those who don't wish to know about
certain aspects discussed here to filter things out.  Of course, everyone
would have to adhere to this code for it to work properly, and to change the
code when a reply veers off onto another topic area, but with a little
effort it could improve things and hopefully keep everyone happy.  Even if
some folks don't always follow it - at least things will be a little easier.

Anyway, just my thoughts.  As Lee said, respectfully submitted for your
consideration (I like that Lee, that's way more diplomatic than I usually
achieve !).

Regards

Jon