Re: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers and the Amish

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers and the Amish
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:24:32 -0400
First, submit that this topic is anything but OT. While I respect those with the desire to maintain an extreme in narrow depth of focus to 'OM', printing illustrates the dynamic answer to the question of 'split', etc. Very simple: the intrinsic value of OM equipment is lost if it can not move with the inevitable march of technology. The power of OM equipment for this 'newbie' / 'obie' of the sixties with OM is continuing fulfillment of an important 'link' in the photography chain. I for one do not view my OM equipment as the 'limiting' link in a state-of-the-art photography chain. While OT violators (including myself) should exhibit discipline re prattle, constraining the vision/topic does NOT benefit de rigueur devotees of the OM. De facto, technology evolution will not allow 'Photography' to be mounted on buggy wheels. If one seeks to fixate OM in time, the focus becomes museum, not photography. Sum: OM has an honored place today BECAUSE it provides a vital link in the dynamic and evolving technology chain of Photography. Encourage the development of an OM museum List if desired, but don't split this OM Photography site.

Second, digitized data printing of all photos, color or B/W, is here to stay. Acquiring the greatest image of all time with our paragon OM-Zuiko is meaningless if unavailable for viewing. Both sides of the cost conundrum debate are correct, and both sides will be out of date with their arguments in ~ one year. Printing of photos is perhaps the most rapidly evolving change in Photography. If Back to the Future five years from now, none of us would recognize the printers AND how cheaply we could print museum grade output. I fuss and complain, love/ hate my Epson 870 Photo. The greatest ROI to me is the learning curve. Within a year you will see an entire new generation of new technology, performance and price/elasticity curves in a more competitive marketplace.

Third, I'll offer a quick rendering of my own assessment re the following issues. They are no less valid to me because a 'new link' is always being tempered.