[OM] An opinion...

Subject: [OM] An opinion...
From: Hughes <hi100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
Nice to hear Lee express a more purist OM opinion. I do think the high signal
to noise ratio and
generally civil discourse that has tended to characterize the list (esp
compared with others), has
declined especially more recently. These things tend to go in cycles so maybe
things will improve
again.  Digital OT has also got a bit out of hand, even though some of it has
been interesting and
CH's Zuiko on Cannon certainly qualifies as OM related in my book.

A long time ago I switched to Digest mode because of List overload,too much OT
posting and SUV and
other personality wars.  What this means, is I scan the Digest looking for the
more interesting
threads and more interesting posters (often list old-timers).  Having better
thread titles with
OT/Digi etc would certainly be very helpful in Digest mode.  I really miss some
of the early list
members who have left the list because of variety of reasons, but I suspect
partly because of
focus and topic drift and general OT blather. People like Doris Fang,Tomoko and
Brian Huber etc
come to mind. Doris managed to get us to create OM poetry and often helped
conciliate people who
were having personal vendettas.   To keep my contribution to list overload
down, I also correspond
with list members off list on OT subjects, for example CH's digital comparisons
and arcane details
of how he did his tests. This also means I like to reply to OT questions
offlist only.  I do
actually appreciate some of the OT photo-links people post, especially when
comment is limited.
To keep list volume overload down it would nice if people cut only brief quotes
into their
posts,worked out how to turn off HTML in their posts and turned off their
stream of consciousness
writing mode.

My vote is for a higher traditional OM content level and a little more thought
before posting.

Regards,
Tim Hughes
TimHughes@xxxxxxxx