[OM] The scope of the list, my take...

Subject: [OM] The scope of the list, my take...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:34:21 -0500
Like many of you, I found my way to this list as a long time OM user, and
like some of you, I've been here for years. When I first found this list,
there was more detailed talk of our cameras and lenses, such as tracking
ebay prices, coating changes, etc. Now, the conversation has grown, well,
more diffuse.

Let's consider, though, what else has changed. Photography has become
different these days. When I joined, digital cameras were either poor
snapshot cameras or very expensive professional camera backs. Flatbeds were
expensive accessories, and film scanners were relegated to the pro labs.
Today? Every grade school kid has a flatbed and digital capture is a viable
alternative in all but the highest quality situations.

The result? Some discussion of digital is not only inevitable, but very
close to necessary. As times change, many of us will go digital for many of
our requirements. Our OM's will age, fewer new members will come to the list
as active OM shooters, so for many of us, our film cameras will become
specialized tools, not everyday users. I, of one, would like to hear of
others experience, for the day when I add a digital camera to my arsenal.

As to scanners and printers, the digital darkroom is a reality. Most of us
are using some form of digital manipulation and printing, at least in a
embryonic way. I would like to hear others experiences.

But, I hear you say, that belongs on a general photography list. I beg to
differ. I read photo.net from time to time, and there is helpful information
there, but here are people I trust. We are a group of photographers that
have come to know each other better, and our experiences are based on the
common ground of the OM, and grow from there. I am especially interested in
the digital experiences of C.H. Ling and Tom Scales, since I'm letting their
checkbooks lead me through the digital minefield. I know that someday, I
will add digital to my collection, and I like the help.

I don't want this list to transform itself into a general list, so some
restraint may be in order. The discussion of the E1, like the one on
radioactive glass, had a life of its own. In both cases, some restraint
would have made for a better discussion.

On general OT matters, guns and doughnuts, suv's and politics, we are
generally all friends. I wouldn't ever suggest that there be no OT chatter,
but perhaps some self restraint is in order. Perhaps we could voluntarily
regulate ourselves to one or two posts per OT subject. Had that been the
case, the radioactive doughnuts discussion (or was it sugar coated lens
elements?) would have not become so arcane.

And the spats? Haven't we all had bad days? It is hard to get nuance in this
form, so perhaps we could all, and this includes me, be just a little more
restrained?

Bill Pearce