Re: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers and the Amish

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers and the Amish
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:19:54 -0700 (PDT)
Catching up on old posts here...

I submit that ALL existing digital photography equipment today
is "bridge technology".  Maybe with the exception of the
PC/Software which is in perpeptual evolution, but fully
functional today.

* The scanners have reached a design plateau which may never be
exceeded due to the fading out of film capture.

* The Digital Cameras are still very early in the design life.
The Fovian style chip will most likely be the future, but until
pixels throughout the entire production chain become hexegonal
we will always be limited in our ability to properly capture,
process and output organic subjects (organic=non linear).

* Printing technology will continue to evolve--who knows where
it will end up.  This one is currently so far inferior to "old
technology" as to be laughable.

In order for digital photography to become superior to analog
photography it must either throw more pixels at the problem or
become more "analog" in its nature.  Hexegonal is a start.

I shot a bunch of pictures this vacation on Velvia 100, which is
a brand-new emulsion in an 18 year old camera.  In 18 years will
the $8000 EOS-1DS be "current" in the imaging capture
department?

I've accepted reality and know that I MUST go digital before too
long.  B&W is one area that digital has years of evolution
before becoming anywhere near acceptable in my eyes.  But color
is an area that digital is definitely reaching a point of
surpassing the "old technology" given the process-output
technologies.

I like my inkjet printer (C*n*n S9000), but know that it is a
bridge technology, not the end-all product that the marketing
maggots described it to be.

AG