Re: Re: [OM] list comment from a newbie

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] list comment from a newbie
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:37:01 -0400
It's not all about sharpness either.  When I tried the XA I found new flaws
that I had never found in my Zuikos.  Dark corners for example.  (Vignetting or
light-falloff are the college words for it.)

The XA distorts shapes near the corners too.  (I guess this is called
pincushion distortion if it's in one direction and barrel distortion if it's in
the opposite direction.)  While there are a small number of very fine zooms in
the sharpness department, I'm not so sure they meaure up in this area.  I think
most zooms distort shapes in one way at the wide end, and distort shapes in the
other way at the long end.

This kind of thing is also nearly absent in my Zuiko (and Tamron!) primes.

Lama