Re: [OM] Pictures at the beach question

Subject: Re: [OM] Pictures at the beach question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:04:02 -0700
Richard F. Man wrote:

At 02:44 PM 8/19/2003 +0800, you wrote:

I recalled my friend said I had to compensate when taking pictures at the beach... I assume for the reflection of the sand, but don't recall..

So do I want to stop down 1 stop?  Or I want to open 1 stop?

The sand is like the snow, just slightly darker, unless the sand is really white. So just set the exposure compensation to be about +1 to +1.5.

Correct: Snow/sand brighter than typical 18 0ray scene means you need extra exposure to correctly expose normal reflectance subjects in the scene. If you don't, the scene will be underexposed.

If you shoot print film, there should be enough latitude.

Well, maybe, color neg film has more latitude than reversal film, but most of that is on the overexposure side. Underexposure latitude is seldom more than 1.5 stops. With potential underexposure due to snow or white sand and bright sun, it's still better to compensate.

If you shoot slides, the darned highlight will be blown out and everything will look mute :-(

I think you have the wrong terminology. 'Blown out highlights' means all detail lost, in this case, clear film. This would be the result of overexposure. The result of underexposure is loss of true highlights, loss of shadow detail and, as you say, a muted look.

Moose