Re: [OM] Third party lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Third party lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:40:07 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:

Easy question - does the Sigma 600/8 use a T adapter or did they make
camera specific mounts?

Camera specific.

If the lens resolution is measured at the film plane image it's not
obvious to me why a longer lens would have a higher resolution.

I wasn't disagreeing with the published resolution numbers, just pointing out how the standard tests aren't entirely relevant for some super-tele photography. The standard tests reproduce the test chart at the same size on film regardless of the focal length, the right way to measure inherent resolving power. In using super-teles, I often find that I can't magnify the subject to fill the frame from the vantage point I have and can't move closer. In that case, there is no loss of desired image coverage from using a longer lens, but the greater magnification resolves greater detail in the subject.

Imagine a test target mounted on a wall across a canyon. A longer focal length will resolve more detail simply because of the greater magnification of the image on the film, assuming it's inherent resolving power is at least the same as the shorter lens. With a 50mm lens you can just see a white rectangle. With a 500mm lens, you can see the lines in some of the larger (lower resolution) targets. With a 1000mm lens you can see detail in the target for about twice the resolving power as those that could be distinguished by the 500mm. It's not a resolving power factor is the traditional sense, but has that effect through different magnification a the particular kind of situation.

I don't know where else you can read about this idea, since I don't ever remember reading about it. It's just an obvious effect of magnification

Moose