Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: "David" <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:38:44 +0200
Hi Albert,

I´ve been using an OM4T for some years and I used to suffer from the same
problems using my old OM1. Center-weighted average light metering is not
enough for creating good pictures. You need a high precision spot metering
to meter the light in small areas if you want to use zone system. Using OM4T
is very fast: You want to do a portrait, subject is in backlight, (zone 3 or
4).
You can go by three ways:
1. Spot metering in the face (supposed to be in zone 4). Now, use exposure
compensation dial; select (-1 stop) and you´ll go to zone 4. The exposure
is perfect.
2. Multispot metering. Press the spot button twice into the subject´s face,
now do a meter into the bright area. Again exposure will be perfect.
3. Use superFP flash! A little bit difficult if you want to get perfect
results.
If there is a big EV between subject´s face and background you must
use exposure compensation dial in order to mix more light comming from
the face in order to avoid giving a flat appearance to the face. I love this
flash. Olympus have made a new flash for E-1 that includes superFP!!!

Memory button: for using winder2! Lovely for portrait. Create the scene as
you want, spot metering... press memory button; now you can move
around the girl, speak to her and only concentrate on focusing for slight
adjustements and shoot continuosly with your winder2.

My cousing has got a Maxxum!!! He has bought an Olympus OM camera.
He hates the light metering of this camera, focusing speed is not very
fast, bright lenses are very expensive. He can´t enjoy using multispot
metering.
You must decide, but I think it´s very easy. If you like portrait, have a
look
to C.H.Ling portraits. I use to conect sometimes to have a look to them,
they are really lovely.

Best regards,

Dave