Re: [OM] SC vs MC zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] SC vs MC zuikos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:11:36 -0700
C.H.Ling-Accura wrote:

16 bit scan is useful for image editing, for final image output or viewing
there is little different especially your display card is limited to 24bit
(8x3) output at a time.

I run my display at 32bit

I agree monitor viewing has better color and dynamic range than print but I
feel more convenient in viewing print, I can enjoy it anywhere instead of
sit beside the computer.

You mean you aren't at your computer all the time?? :-) Seriously, just a matter of preferrence, not right or wrong.

Film matters too, and Portrait NC is one of my favorites, low contrast and
huge latitude. I just got back my first roll of 400VC, but don't have an
opinion yet.
I don't use Portrait NC except for portrait, to my eyes it cannot proper
render the sunny scenes, just compressed too much.

I was just browsing the film I picked up today and started wondering what was wrong with the images. Then I remembered, it's my first roll of 400VC. Way too contrasty, funny colors. It may just be a bad match for the scanning they do where I have my film processed. I'll try some scans of my own before making a final judgment, but I suspect it's back to NC for me. I find that the combo of NC and my procesor works well for sunny scenes. And remember my digital work flow, I can and do adjust histogram, curves, contrast, brightness, saturation, etc. for images I otherwise like.

I like Supra 100 (the old Ektapress 100) unfortunately it is discontinued.
I generally like the Supras. Shot my last roll of 100 a month ago. I just got some 200 to try out, see how I like it compared to 160NC.

Moose