[OM] metering

Subject: [OM] metering
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:58:33 -0500
Albert,

I've gotten plenty of good chromes with my OM-1's without herculean efforts,
so the idea that simple averaging meters are for negative films only just
isn't true. Many others on this list will confirm. But then, I got fine
exposures with a Pentax Spotmatic back in the sixties, too. I suspect what
you need is just a little work on basic metering techniques, a cheaper and
better alternative to your options.

There are several approaches to metering. The first is to depend entirely on
the in-camera meter, without any thoughts or adjustments. This is the reason
we have the complex matrix metering systems in modern wonderbricks. These
systems actually do a good job of compensating for most situations, but when
they go wrong, you'll know it. also, you can't possibly use their readings
and make their own adjustments, as the process is so complex. Looking back
at history, although I don't like these systems, I must respect how well
they work.

Another is to use a basic in-camera meter and modify as you see fit. This
includes things like tilting the camera down for a reading when there is a
lot of sky in a shot, as well as the usual highlight and shadow
compensations.

The final alternative is to go all out, making careful, multiple readings
with a spotmeter. This can produce the best results, but requires LOTS of
experience for proper interpretation. It also can make the decisive moment
into the decisive hour.

I would not get the Maxuum, unless you want to take no part whatsoever in
your metering. Cameras like this are designed for passive use, and I don't
think, based on your many  posts, that's what you're after. I also wouldn't
get the OM4, as it will require no less participation than the OM1. Learn
with the OM1, then decide.

I suggest you make better exposures a goal for a period of time. Carefully
examine your past poorly exposed chromes, and try to identify what went
wrong. Was there so much sky that the meter was fooled? Was there a
highlight or shadow situation? How much was the exposure off?

Now, get another roll of film, and try to think just a bit as you shoot.
Don't make it a major, brow-wrinkling process, just be aware of the light in
each scene. You will begin to see things that require adjustments to the
meter reading, and the adjustments are easy to make with the analog meter in
the OM1. Soon, this will become second nature. There will still be some
circumstances where the exposere isn't spot-on, but don't let others fool
you, everyone gets some of those shots, with whatever meter they use.

There's an old saying often repeated to car shoppers: The cheapest car is
the one you own. They're trying so say that a small investment in
maintenance will often make your old, worn out car good for years more use
instead of buying a replacement. The same holds true for your camera. It may
be time for a cla and meter calibration. It is at least as good a tool for
learning as a new wonderbrick, or perhaps even as good as an additional OM!

Bill Pearce, who thinks both Vegemite and Krispy Kremes are highly
overrated.