RE: [OM] SC vs MC zuikos

Subject: RE: [OM] SC vs MC zuikos
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:17:06 -0400
    "This means that 24-bit color and 32-bit color actually have the same
    number of colors available to them, but 32-bit color just has some added
    information for transparency. So if you don't need the extra info, 24-bit
    is better than 32-bit, right? Well, not exactly. It's actually kind of a
    pain to deal with, because there's no data type that's 24 bits. So to
    write a pixel, instead of just writing in one value, you have to write
    red, green, and blue each individually. Working in 32-bit color is
    probably faster on most machines, even though it requires more memory. In
    fact, many video cards don't support 24-bit color at all, because having
    each pixel take up three bytes is just too inconvenient."

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/gpgenesis5/page2.asp

tOM