Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:24:46 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 1:15 PM

> I've taken lots of bad pictures with my 4T, mainly because I tried to get
> creative with the spot metering.  I now usually leave it on auto but try
> be aware of unusual lighting.

I'll definitely agree with this. Back when I used my C*n*n Elan IIe I found
that most of my metering problems came from using the other metering modes.
Part of this was confusion on my behalf regarding what the symbols on the
metering dial represented (they weren't exactly clear). This caused a few
problems where I'd think I was selecting one metering mode but was actually
selecting another. The other issue I'd run into would be if I had left the
camera on a metering mode and forgot to check it before I took the shot.

If anything, I find the simplicity of the OM-1n's meter has helped my
exposure. I've gotten some underexposed shots but it was in situations where
I knew it was very low-light and was trying to balance underexposing the
shot and having a hand-holdable shot (like trying 1/15 @ 1.8 with ISO 400
and still not having the meter needle up to the middle). But in those types
of situations, I know that I'm pushing the limits of the exposure and am
hoping to get something useable in the shot.

Honestly, I don't tend to have much problem with metering with the OM-1n at
all. I figure there could be a few different explanations for this (or some
combination thereof):

1. Maybe I'm just subconciously adjusting the exposure without thinking
about it.
2. I'm not working as often in tough lighting conditions.
3. My meter is really accurately callibrated.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/