Re: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifically tripod
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:15:55 -0700
I love the Gitzo 1026 but it is too short to raise the camera above tall
weeds and many fences. I still carry it with me more often than the
bigger Gitzo I got because it is so compact.

I had an earlier version of the Bogen 486RC2 ball head on it but got
frustrated with the vibration encountered with big teles (Tamron 400/4).
With normal lenses it seemed to be fine. I think a lot of the vibration
was due to the quick release. I recently replaced the head with an
Acratech but haven't had a chance to mount the big tele on it. I would
recommend either getting a head with the Arca Swiss style quick release
or getting a head without a quick release and putting an Arca Swiss
style (Kirk or Really Right Stuff) adapter on it if you are going to use
a long tele.

Horses and I get along just fine when we both have our feet on the
ground. If I were going to try and sit on a horse I would definitely
stick to one zoom lens and an auto exposure camera. The XA in a pocket
might be a handy second camera.

Best wishes, -jeff