Re: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifically tripod
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:20:40 -0700
My travel tripod is the Velbon 343e. It weighs 2 lbs and is 18" long collapsed with the included small ball head. You can make it shorter by taking off the head. Without the last leg section extended, it was at least as solid as a travel Gitzo (don't remember model) I compared it to and about the same height, so you would have to use it on your knees. With the legs fully extended, it's 53" tall and, esp. with a little firm but gentle downward pressure from the hands holding the camera, amazingly steady. The flip leg locks are a real plus for travel because they are so quick and easy to use. WAY faster than twist locks and in travel, that translates into more shots with the tripod. The ball head is nothing much in a way, but again, surprisingly good for something so small and light, nice smooth action. I've used it quite successfully with a Tamron SP 60-300, which is a fair size and weight lens for travel.

Probably won't last as long as a Gitzo in serious use, but at $70, you can buy another and still be money ahead. Weight may not be an issue in luggage, but it's an issue with me when traveling because I still have to carry it around when not on the airplane.

A great tripod? No. Better than no tripod? Definitely! Better than all the other junk in that size, weight, price range? Absolutely!!

Moose

Joe Scheese wrote:

Tripod:  I do travel a lot on business and since 9/11 I haven't even tried
to take a tripod.  I'm looking for something that folded up is about 17
inches.  Weight is not an issue.