Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..(A grey card is a great idea!)

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..(A grey card is a great idea!)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:07:23 -0300
on 21/08/2003 00:33, Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu at lamadoo@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> 3.  Believe it or not, I made a grey card on my inkjet printer using
> Photoshop.
Believe it or not, I made one with PS as a Pattern for the Appearance
control panel for the desktop of my mac. The gray card which comes with
MacOS 9.0 seemed a bit bluish on this monitor... the one I made is perfectly
gray, as much as my 18% Kodak. Just to have fun watching at it when writing
:))

Fernando.

PS

>From 'Using These Files':

N.D. Gray Card 70%
------------------------------
This file has been balanced to a Kodak neutral density gray card viewed in a
5000°K light box. The unique gray desktop pattern is designed to quickly and
easily help you arrive at a close balance of your scene.

A 70eutral density gray card is an important tool for photographers to
use for taking exposure measurements. When included in at least one scene
(taken on one piece of the same film and processed in the same batch), it is
a helpful reference for photolabs to use for getting acceptable color
balance on the first print.

Steps for use of the N.D Gray Card 70%:
1) Include the physical gray card in one scene of the image(s) you are
shooting.
2) Install the N.D. Gray Card 70% as your desktop picture or pattern
3) OPEN the photograph in any image editing application (i.e. Photoshop).
4) Move the border of the image window until you just begin to crop off one
margin of the grey card. You will now easily see the difference in color
between the image's gray value and the desktop's gray value.
5) Use the color-balance controls of the image editing application to match
the color of the gray card in the scene to the color of the gray desktop.
The image will now be reasonably close to its natural color balance.

NOTES:
a) Gray Cards are manufactured by Kodak and others, and available in 8"x10"
and 4"x5." They are specifically designed to absorb 700f the light and
reflect 300f the light (suggesting the average amount of light reflected
back from a typical scene).
b) The monitor must be properly calibrated prior to use of the N.D. Gray
Card 70%.

-- The ColorSync Team