Re: [OM] Re: Exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Exposure
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:00:24 -0700
Processer/printers sometimes do terrible things with perfectly good negs. I have some lovely favorite photos where the first 4x6s were really poor looking. Color neg film has great latitude. I can't believe that a camera, meter and photographer who correctly expose slides can make color negs outside the exposure range of the film, at least not without trying. For a simple example, the results with the same camera and film from Kodak Royal Processing through a camera store and Kodak Picture Processing through a drug store are wildly different. Another: I've been very pleased with the develop and scan at 2000dpi from a local shop of Kodak Supra and Portra NC films. I just had them do a roll of Portra 400VC, terrible scans. Very contrasty, no shadow detail at all, just harsh looking. I just finished scanning the ones I wanted myself, and the negs are fine. Their scanner and VC just don't seem to get along. I'll talk to them about it and if they can't do anything about it, I'll just have the rest of the 160 and 400 VC developed only or try somewhere else.

Regan Conley wrote:

I would disagree. I spent some weeks in a class last year shooting slides and was producing some good images. Then went off on a 2-week Italy trip and shot negatives. In many cases I was disappointed by the exposures that I had expected to be spot on. My chromes had tended to be dark, so I got in the habit of opening up a bit. I thought it was the camera, but the prints turned out to be consistently over-exposed. A great shooter will be the one who knows what to expect from his camera under differing conditions, supplies and equipment.

and developing and handling and scanning and printing.

Moose