re: [OM] Zapping" M. 15 NiCads?

Subject: re: [OM] Zapping" M. 15 NiCads?
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:24:31 -0700

>...Although people always focus on battery "memory effects" the string of
>cells is so long in the
>M15V, that you are most likely to damage the battery through cell shorts or
>venting in the cells
>if you try to do a conditioning discharge (result of reverse charge effects on
>weakest cells)....

Mostly I use nicads in power tools. Here's my "seat of the pants"
method. Since nicad discharge is relatively linear and then plummets at
the end just be aware of reaching the precipice  but don't go over.
That's when i recharge. I cringe when I see guys putting a rubber band
on the trigger to completely discharge a tool. Folklore has them
convinced that this is the thing to do. Next to overheating I can't
think of anything worse to do to shorten the life of nicad power packs.
(note that I'm speaking about packs of multiple cells here)

Mike