Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........

Subject: Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:36:59 +1000
True Moose but...
I have occasionally had a mini-lab do a process and print for me, using the enprints as proofs, and then gone on to scan the negs. It is amazing what disappears between dev and print - negs that had chemical stains, scratches and godwhat produced quite acceptable prints over the counter. I'm sure that some version of that Nikon oblique angle dust spot removal technology is used as a matter of course so that the lab doesn't have to bother with silly little inconveniences like cotton gloves, dust-free environments or even changing the chemistry too often. Consequently resolution is lost as it always is with 'reduce dust, reduce scratch' technology (think hi-fi filters too) and has to be restored digitally. Digital 'sharpness' enhancement as with genuine unsharp masking and even centuries old painting techniques requires the eye to be fooled in some way. Artifacts are deliberately introduced to create false edge contrast - I've increased the apparent sharpness of a portrait in Photoshop simply by selective micro-dodging and burning of the eyes (very effective incidentally). So - work dirty, knock out the consequent crap automatically, lose sharpness in that process, substitute false sharpness effects and the average customer is delighted. If I ran a minilab, I'd do that. In the old days you worked dirty, printed directly and hired a good retoucher. Plus ca change...
AndrewF
(who just watched that really worrisome Robin Williams movie).

The development process has no digital component, just precise chemistry. There is, at least as yet, no way to do anything 'digital' in the development process. The C-41 process is stable technology that hasn't changed in years. It is still possible to screw it up through errors in set-up or replenishment, but changes aren't made to taylor results to different kinds of customers. The serious screwing around starts after development.

Moose

whunter wrote:

Does anybody know for certain whether this 'digital tinkering' at the processor labs is confined to the prints or ibid to the original negative/slide film development???? No doubt they do a 'happy medium' with respect to film development - - whatever that is.