Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4273

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4273
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:53:47 -0700
I believe we have both semantic misunderstanding and technical misunderstanding here.

I posit that when Bill says 'inconsistency' he means there are many different reflection colors in the 50/1.8 (by the way, we still don't know from the evidence presented which version is being discussed) and pretty much all the same color on the 55/1.2

I further posit that Lee, like me, thought he meant poor process control leading to coating which were inconsistent within and/or between batches of the same element for the same lens.

As to the first supposition, I believe there may be a misapprehension that consistency of reflective color is in some way indicative of quality. The reverse is true. The earliest coated lenses had relatively consistent reflection colors. Later SC formulas had more and more different colors for the reasons I recently posted. All MC formulas incorporate multiple colors. This multiplicity of colors of reflection is a result of increasingly sophisticated and effective coating design and technology, including better programs and faster computers to run them on. The 55/1.2 is a relatively early SC coating design. The 50/1.8 miJ is a relatively late MC design.

As to the second supposition, I don't now believe that is what was meant.

whunter wrote:

Whoa.....Take a deep breath. Perhaps i should have used 'stand alone' wording in anticipation of cut and paste out of context and out of my control as in the thread now presenting from Lee. My original post in specific response to Gwinn's comment and provided herewith for context:
One must factor:
    - time period whence manufactured.
    - where manufactured and the vendor for MC

There is an assumtion here that bears questioning. I am under the impression that Oly manufactured and coated all their own lenses except for the Cosina made zooms that were brought out with the OM2000. If true, all this stuff about who may have done the work and whether the 'cheap' lenses were just contracted out to some junk shop would be moot. The 50/1.8 miJ is in fact a very high quality lens with excellent performance, superior to the 55/1.2 according to Gary's tests. It does use plastic in places where it doesn't affect the optical performance but may affect durability. The cost argument is essentially meaningless in this context where a much older design is being compared to a much newer one. Comparison of the 55/1.2 to the earliest version or 2 of the 50/1.8 would be more appropriate if this whole line of thinking had any purpose related to evaluating the performance of lenses.

- evolutionary period for the 1.8 versus the 1.2 which is more than an order of magnitude when adjusted to include the number of units produced for each design X options for low cost bid for large production runs versus small / custom lots.

Unexamined assumptions about design and production again.

Moose