Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:08:00 -0700
To edit a 200M file in Photoshop either requires some fair computing
power or a lot of patience. Storing a roll of slide scans eats up about
7G of space. Extra hard drives would disappear pretty fast. So far I'm
using film as the storage medium and thinking about what can be done
differently. (Any experienced suggestions?)

Some very experienced people also prefer Spr*ntScan to either Min*lta or
Ni*on. By the time most people could learn to use three different
scanners near their capability, newer better stuff is available. I don't
see much alternative to reading biased opinions to learn about the
differences, then placing a fairly big bet on one. Hopefully I'll learn
to use it well enough to get near what it is capable of but I'll settle
for getting good ink jet prints and sending files to Calypso Imaging to
get better prints.

VueScan changes almost weekly. Even the manufacturers update their
software. You could end up spending all of your time evaluating the
scanner + software. I would probably be happy with any of the three that
can handle medium format, each having different problems.

-jeff