Re: [OM]SS4000 vs. Nikon, was Minolta 5400

Subject: Re: [OM]SS4000 vs. Nikon, was Minolta 5400
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:20:57 -0400
Although I am a novice, I have considerable experience with the Sprintscan
4000, the Sprintscan 4000 Plus (what did they make, 3 of them) and the Nikon
4000ED.  I had my choice which to keep and kept the Nikon, for two basic
reasons. The first, and lesser important, was ICE.  I don't always use it,
but when I need it, there is nothing like it. The Sprintscan design is also
quite poor regarding dust -- it just sucks it in.

The biggest reason, though, is the roll film adapter. The Sprintscan
required so much effort to do a 36 exposure roll. The Nikon requires: Insert
strip. Click.

The results are too close to call.  Both are better than my photography
skills.

As for storage, it's cheap, cheap, cheap. I have over a 1/2 terabyte in my
house. I'm close to crossing the terabyte boundary, as I need a couple more
large drives. Not only do I keep all images online (hard disk), I
automatically back them up to the server disk.  I burn my favorites to CD.
Yes, CD. I'll go to DVD eventually, but with CD blanks being free (OfficeMax
this week, both 100 CD-R blanks and slim jewels cases, free with rebate),
DVD is still too expensive.

Tom