Re: [OM]SS4000 vs. Nikon, was Minolta 5400

Subject: Re: [OM]SS4000 vs. Nikon, was Minolta 5400
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:23:03 -0400
The first, and lesser important, was ICE.  I don't always use it,
but when I need it, there is nothing like it.
For the lesser bankrolled, ICE or the same SW with a different name is now being bundled with some high quality, but affordable flatbed scanners. Tom has a key point: the mousetrap is worthless without the SW cheese.

The biggest reason, though, is the roll film adapter. The Sprintscan
required so much effort to do a 36 exposure roll. The Nikon requires: Insert
strip. Click.
AMEN .......and I drool over the opportunity to be this lazy. What Tom does not say: the roll adapter is another ~$400 additional to the N'kon scanner!!!! My expressed interest in the Reflecta 'for the rest of us' (aided enormously by Piers) is the seemingly great auto feeders for film rolls and slides. Believe the Reflecta is worth monitoring as the product develops.

Yes, CD. I'll go to DVD eventually, but with CD blanks being free (OfficeMax this week, both 100 CD-R blanks and slim jewels cases, free with rebate),
DVD is still too expensive.

Tom

The opportunities for cost effective storage with CDROM are impressive today. About fifteen packs of 100 from Office Max and you have a Terabyte on a small shelf! Use an indexing application on your HD to facilitate quick find.
Bill