Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:05:43 -0400
NO, I am not saying that.
1. Just as Tom proclaimed, the 4000ED is the gold standard at present for Prosumer film scanners.. It is expensive, especially if you automate with the roll film feeder and bulk slide feeder. At nearly $1750 this is an expensive package, especially with numerous reports of a forthcoming new model. If money is not a factor, buy it without further question. If using for routine commercial work, purchase the Nikon. 2. Given the need for manual feeding of a film scanner , one should CONSIDER (review SW package, matrix size, etc.) of at least the Epson and Microtek flatbed photo scanners. Resolution of these scanners is approaching the 4000ED. Microtek includes ICE software. Manual, but as easy to use as the 4000ED. For an investment at this moment in time, these may fulfill most if not all specific needs at a much lower cost.

My concept - - a personal one - - of a "film" scanner includes capacity to do bulk slide and roll film scanning. To spend $600 - !000 for a manual feed device which does little if significantly better than the latest flatbed scanners just does not compute. Each to their own. Note that the flatbeds to which I refer are new and enhanced models.

It is a sum total decision path inclusive of all of the above.
Bill