[OM] Scanning big (OM) images

Subject: [OM] Scanning big (OM) images
From: "Donald MacDonald" <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:58:37 +0100
My current problem isn't the scanner, really (Acer ScanWit 2720). Scanning
at 48 bit results in files around 50Mb, which I'm plopping onto HD as .psd
files, and working on in Photoshop 7.

Unfortunately, I'm pushing the limits of my technology. The computer is a
Dell Dimension XP333, Pentium 2 @ 333Mhz, 384Mb RAM (the max), two HDs (8Gb
and 40Gb, partitioned 20x10x10). 650f the RAM is reserved to P'shop, I
shut everything else down when editing and try to remember to purge the
Histories etc when I don't need them. Problem is, P'shop 7 isn't supposed to
run under this configuration, but it does, with care.

So I'm considering building a second box (it will have to be small form
factor) just for editing. At some time in the future I will be scanning
non-OM medium format trannies, so I want to have the capacity to handle at
least the 50Mb size. Don't want to get into 200Mb 35mm scans, though. Jeez.

D.

Donald Neil MacDonald, BA DipLIS
www.skelpitheid.com

---