[OM] Interesting Day!

Subject: [OM] Interesting Day!
From: "Douglas Tourtelot" <tourtelot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:22:20 -0700
I had quite an interesting day yesterday.  As a bonus of my "day job" I
watch my first ever live NFL Football game. . . from the sidelines!
Seahawk's new stadium.  Of course I took my OM.

Now, here's what makes it interesting.  Not the football (I am not a fan,
but Seattle did win) but the other photographers.  I was the ONLY one on the
sidelines shooting film!  Out of maybe twenty five shooters (more than a few
women in fact, some woman video shooters too) EVERYONE else was digi.  Maybe
50/50 Ni*on/Ca*on.  Lots and lots of "white glass" that all had huge shades
on so I couldn't read focal lengths but I am guessing 250s and 350s.  Some
stabilized Can*ons being hand held(!) and on the whole, not a chatty group.
Didn't want to talk much even when they weren't working.  Must have been the
OM!

In the press room (nicely stocked, I might add with very edible food, but no
beer!) there were two darkrooms.  The doors weren't closed so I stuck my
nosey head inside.  Both filled to overflowing with Apple I-books!  There
was a woman from the team photographer (actually, there were four Seahawks
employed shooters on the field) with a big Mac "processing" CF cards (or
whatever the images were captured on<g>) from the team's staff
photographers.

Now, not owning any "great whites" myself, I took this:  An OM-4 with a
50/1.4 and my Bessa L with a 15/3.5.  Remember, I am not a football fan.  I
went around shooting sideline portraits.  The guy who holds the yard marker,
the EMTs, some coaches, some "I will never get off the bench tonight"
players, even some photographers.  I'll have the film, two rolls of Ilford
HP5+ rated at 1000, souped tomorrow.  There was SO much light on the field,
the 2-stop push wasn't really necessary.  Spot meter on dark jerseys, 250 at
f4!  But I wanted to see how the HP5+ takes the big push.

When they come back from the lab on CD, I will try and post them, with some
help from some friends on the list.  I'll keep you all up to date.

D.