RE: mp3 was Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........

Subject: RE: mp3 was Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........
From: andrew chadiwck <chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:30:30 -0400 (EDT)
Oh man.  I've been lurking now for a few weeks
(this is message 1648 in my OM folder), but I've just got to jump in on
this one.  Sorry it's a little late, but trying to keep up with the list
on a dialup connection isn't the easiest thing ever.

My first post to the list, and it's responding to a post that is
1. [OT] and
2. *could* be considered flamebait.
That can't be a good idea.

OM-related content: I've got an OM-1 that I LOVE, with a Zuiko  50/1.4.
It's the only thing I can shoot with, since my lens for my 8008 rolled
into the grand canyon.  I may even post some shots from it sometime,
once I make a developing run.

> Homemade meal/fast-food

Booh to fast food.  Can't touch it.  Well, except for those crsipy chicken
sandwiches.  They're tasty.

> Live music and vinal/mpeg3

I'm 22. I still buy vinyl whenever the option is available, but this is
more for reasons of visual taste, rather than CD vs. Vinyl.  That's
something I'm not even going to weigh in on - that's an equine corpse that
doesn't need to be hit.

As for Mp3s - I'm not going to pretend that they sound great.  I hate
being able to hear artifacts when there's a lot of stuff going on in the
10K and up range.  But let's face it, it's convienent.  There's LOADS of
indie labels offering Mp3s of bands that most people wouldn't be able to
hear.  And then selling their records on 180 gram LPs.

> Film/digital

I'm not touching digital.  Not only can I not afford it, I just like film.
It's nice.  Developing is a source of enjoyment, as is making my own
prints.  I'm not going to knock digital - it's often appropriate, it's
just not to my taste.

> Theater/TV, TV is junk food to the mind.

Seriously, I've had enough of undergraduate theater kids (and directors
that are full professors) ruining well-written plays.  As for TV, while
it's a highly abused art form, there is good stuff.  I mean, watch Nigella
Bites (a cooking show on the style network) sometime.  It's all
soft-focusy and gorgeous.  There *is* good TV out there.

Oh geez.  This is a long email.  I'm done now.

andrew