Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:00:25 -0400

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 09:44  PM, andrew fildes wrote:

If you don't adjust your levels with more than 8 bits per channel, then you can start to see banding appear in colour transitions and also posterization effects. How noticeable these effects are is really going to depend on how
much of an adjustment you make to the levels (the more extreme the
adjustment, the more noticeable the effect will be).

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey

My cousin teaches commercial photography at what is possibly 'the' course in Melbourne and pointed out to me at the weekend the problem of 'chasing the technology.' They are assessing student work as if that banding does not exist because they know that by the time they graduate, they'll be using Photoshop 8 where full 16 bit adjustment will be available.
I REALLY LIKE!!! this post!!!!   Voila.....

Innovation - - - - dba, creativity.....
...........is what HP and MS acknowledge they copy from Mac dba Jobs - - - whatever his politics or karma. If you own their stock, good for U.

NOT going into OT myopia re WinTel v. Apple...... Ipso facto + no need, as I have no stockholder benefit thereof nor justification whence to assuage. Truth is the paradigm. Students sans blinders DO look to the future, thus, my great rationale for being a penurious teacher all these years. Teachers with battery dead aids only wonder and espouse. In G5, Mac introduces 64 byte computing with Adobe already announcing their march in cadence. To each their own, benefiting from or ignoring the years of UNIX experience and depth of resources for fending 'worms'. Make yourself happy. I am. Is MS 'bad'.....NO!!! .......they emulate Apple!!! Apple remains the Tortoise of the computer world..... ......in the end..... For the enlightened: Virginia, is there an OM of the microcomputer world.......? Don't pretend to 'Tell', only to stimulate, especially in the context of penny wise and pound foolish in the world of Off To the Future with my OM. Learn for yourself lessons slowly assimilated from the PDP era. Me? I only seek to share. Like Sundance said to Butch: "Hell Butch, here we are with all this (OM) vision, and the rest of the world is looking at it through bifocals."

Students are SOOOOO  great - - - - for those who listen.
L & K,

Bill

Camera ready copy for his book on using PS8 is due at Focal Press on Dec. 5th - he's starting to look tired at the effort of keeping up now that the agenda for the entire industry is set by Adobe. I ready must spend more time with him - then I might be able to follow this thread better!