Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:54:58 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "andrew fildes" <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 10:44 PM

> My cousin teaches commercial photography at what is possibly 'the'
> course in Melbourne and pointed out to me at the weekend the problem
> of 'chasing the technology.' They are assessing student work as if
> that banding does not exist because they know that by the time they
> graduate, they'll be using Photoshop 8 where full 16 bit adjustment
> will be available.
> Camera ready copy for his book on using PS8 is due at Focal Press on
> Dec. 5th - he's starting to look tired at the effort of keeping up
> now that the agenda for the entire industry is set by Adobe.
> I ready must spend more time with him - then I might be able to
> follow this thread better!
> AndrewF

Depends on what you're doing. You can at least adjust levels or curves in 16
bit mode which is the big area where you're going to lose colours. I suppose
in the grading you'd have to look at the effect and maybe find out what they
did (and in what order) and determine if the problem was with their
technique (such as adjusting levels in 8 bit mode when they started with a
16 bit source) or with the technology (the banding was a result of an
operation that discards colours but that can't be performed in 16 bit mode).
With the editing I do (clean dust, adjust the levels, apply slight
sharpening), I don't end up with any banding. But they're probably doing
more involved editing.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/