RE: [OM] RE: [OT negative films, minilabs, etc. Now AUDIOPHILE

Subject: RE: [OM] RE: [OT negative films, minilabs, etc. Now AUDIOPHILE
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry folks, but I've got to contribute to further off-topic
chatter...

Island Dan wrote:
>No no Moosee, I'm of the old school of battery powered
>recodings of vinyl.
>No mixing board, no filtering, no compression, no EQ, no noise
>reduction, no multitracking or over dubbing!

Ahha!  That's the rub.  I'm well aware of these types of
recordings.  I've even experienced them.  Somehow, a 120 channel
Soundcraft Mixing Desk just doesn't sound the same--even though
the specs may tell you that it is.

I've been around the block with condensor microphones enough to
know a thing or two about battery vs phantom power.  Frankly,
the most important thing isn't the source of the DC, but the
microphone pre-amp.  Most condensor mikes will work off of a
battery, but unfortunately, the battery voltage is typically on
the bottom end of the acceptable range.  High SPL will easily
overcome the battery's ability to keep a stable voltage on the
condensor.  This is especially true with large-diaphram mikes.

High-end condensor mikes can take HOURS to stabilize.  We ALWAYS
tried to get the microphones up and running a minimum of an hour
before rehearsals.  Even then, the eq may change noticably
during the rehearsal.

Nearly all studio environments are DC powered.  There might be
an AC outlet here or there, but these outlets are usually highly
isolated and filtered.  It's a rare piece of pro-audio gear that
isn't powered by DC.  Sure, you may have power-supplies which
plug into AC, but these are mounted in isolated racks in
shielded rooms (or the studio itself is shielded).

We're talking REAL studios here, not the wannabes in somebody's
basement.  Ain't a single piece of Alesis or Mackie gear in
sight.

Side note:  Just got my latest product list from Earthworks.  If
you are a purist and want the most accurate sound possible,
check this stuff out.  The microphones are gut-wrenching
accurate, the mike preamps make Rupert Neve cower in shame and
the speakers are, well, you ain't heard sound like this before.
Can you say "phase coherent"?

OM content:  Earthworks' first omni microphones were the OM-1.
Need I say more?

AG-Ears