Re: [OM] Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Lens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:34:04 -0700
I found some more info about stopping down a mirror but no comments
about how well it works for increasing DOF.

***
Another good idea was a simple variable aperture system taken from
amateur astronomers studying the moon. The moon is often so bright that
you need a way to reduce the amount of light coming into your telescope.
The trick used is a large cardboard cutout, over the front of the
telescope, which acts to reduce the diameter of your mirror telescope's
opening. That trick effectively reduces your telescope's aperture. The
Sigma 500mm f/4 mirror lens comes with a special lens cap that has a
removable inner section. Leaving the lens cap in place, but removing the
inner section, cuts the mirror's aperture to f/5.6.
http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html

***
Moose's comment
>> I can't imagine that some manufacturer would
>> not have tried to get a feature jump on the competition (and an
actually
>> useful feature, at that) if they could figure out how to do it.

is probably right on but even if there are limitations, being able to
increase DOF of a mirror after focusing could be worth fighting the
problems ... at least for me. The cost and weight of a 600mm f4 Ni*on
nor Ca*on don't make them very appealing. I haven't ever seen a Sigma
500/4.5 apo nor Sigma 1000/8 apo.

-jeff