Re: [OM] Stop Down Metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Stop Down Metering
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:17:40 -0700
on 8/28/03 1:15 PM, iwert at zuiko@xxxxx wrote:

> Well,
>
> How comes then that with the 8mm f2.8 zuiko fisheye, the OM3's meter is way
> off, even stopped down. This in a range of like 1/60 actual exposure and
> about 1/4 sec indicated? I think the laver communicating the aperture to the
> body has some use, otherwise the meter does not know where to start from...
> (like a division through zero).

Could this have something to do with the image area of the 8/2.8 being only
a circular portion of the overall image area? The manual meter is an
averaging type reading off the viewfinder screen, so the dark corners of the
finder image will fool the meter into thinking it is seeing a full-screen
image that is darker. Then the auto exposure goes from the OTF reflection,
which must be more center-weighted...?

> On the manual 35 shift and 24 shift, there is a lever indicating the max.
> aperture to the body, i.e. f2.8 or f3.5. If this lever is not there, there
> is no acurate metering possible?

24-Shift is a manual-aperture stop-down metering lens only, I think the
35-Shift is the same but I don't have one so I'm not sure about that. To
accurately meter the 24-Shift you have to have it -not- shifted and use the
handy stop-down lever, then set exposure. Or set the meter to auto, then be
sure to stop down (and shift) the lens before exposing.

--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...