Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens
From: Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:30:40 +0200 (CEST)
Who of you, dear fellow members, has first-hand field
experience with this Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat
telelens? Particularly if any of you has taken it on
hiking trips and shot wildlife and nature photos with
it, would much appreciate his/her input.

I would think in terms of handling and weight it is a
much nicer lens to take with you and use than the
Zuiko 600mm. Aperture difference is not much and focus
is quicker I would think. Besides it is much, much
cheaper.

It has a T2 adapall mount, has it not? Which way does
it focus? Like the Zuikos (infinity on the far right)?

Have you used it on a monopod? What focusing screen do
you recommend (1-7 and the 2's I would think)? What
(color) films you use it with (chrome or print)? I
guess pushing the film becomes inevitable pretty
quickly in less than bright sunlight.

Have you used it with a 1.4x or 2x converter? Which
one? Is it not getting too dark then?

So overall good quality and results? Bad? Any other
alternatives recommended? I know there is a similar
Vivitar 800mm lens, as well as a Tamron SP 500mm
mirror and this Sigma 600mm that is being discussed
right now as well. And of course there is the Zuiko
500mm mirror. OTOH I'm somewhat reluctant to consider
a 500mm as I feel it may often be too short for
wildlife animal photography.

Again, any inputs I would much appreciate as I would
like to obtain one high quality long tele lens of SOME
kind, but it need not necessarily be a Zuiko. Write me
offline if you prefer.

Many thanks,
Thomas