[OM] Interesting encounter

Subject: [OM] Interesting encounter
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:12:41 +0100
Just back from a visit to the repair shop.  Jammed OM-1 now unjammed - a two
minute job, with a demo of the fix for the next time.  Cool.

And then we got to chatting.

I was honoured with the chance to look at a Zuiko 180/2 - the first "big
white" I have encountered, and a very fine piece of kit it is (though I had
underestimated its value by 50%, and the repair guy didn't know better
himself).

But remember, we are talking about a repair shop here.  At first sight it
was a faultless lens - but looking very carefully from the rear, oh my was
there a tale of woe to be seen.

No, it's not fungus...  It's not clouding... It's not haze...  It's CLEANING
MARKS.  And we are talking cleaning marks from the likes of glass-paper.
And we are talking cleaning marks on the *interior* of the front element.

The story involves repairs carried out 'in the field' at a repair shop in
Kenya.

The moral?

While not all repair guys know the value of the lenses they have pass
through their hands, some don't care.  Choose wisely!

Piers