Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:54:07 -0700
Thomas Wrote:

Who of you, dear fellow members, has first-hand field
experience with this Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat
telelens?  <Big Snip>

Thomas

You have already recieved some very good input, but here is mine as well. I have held many of the Cat lenses but never bought any of them because of the many limitations. I have found, for me, the long lens I use the most, when I want more than the 300 Zuiko, is my Novoflex 400 f5.6. I have at my disposal a 400 f4.5, the 400 and 600 Novoflex, a 800 f10 Mak Cas telescope and an 1250 f6 Newt. The Newt is portable only with an SUV.

The Novoflex lenses are optimized for center resolution (see Gary Reeses tests). They have a nice shoulder stock that helps me "hand hold" a stop or so worth. I was in the process of learning about all of the parts required to make them work on the Olympii when a fellow list member made an offer I couldn't pass up. It is only with a slight tinge of regret that I have seen good complete kits sell for less recently. I have been a very happy user for longer than the difference in cost is worth. If I were in the position again I think I would still buy a complete Novoflex outfit. I could have spent months or even years trying to get all of the pieces I have now. If I was on a budget I would buy just a complete 400mm rig. It pans nicely at the track and the airport, but draws some strange looks in some places. The way to find them on eb*y is to search under both novoflex and noflexar.

As far as some of the older Celestrons and Baush & Lomb Cats go they are usually of dubious quality because of age and variablility between samples. My 800 is not very good and vignets (sp) with the camera mounted. I think the general rule is use telescopes for the stars and lenses for pictures of the not so near here on Earth.

As far as focuing screens the only tidbit I can offer is the 2-13 on my OM-2s gets some wierd darkening that must have to do with the Fresnel(sp?) lens in the screen. Annoying but not unuseable.

Good luck with your descision.  Let us know how you choose.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California