Re: [OM] Why we take pictures...

Subject: Re: [OM] Why we take pictures...
From: "Dick Lague" <rlague@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:07:27 -0700
VERY GOOD ADVICE

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Richard F. Man
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 12:32 AM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 11:47 PM 8/31/2003 -0700, Dick Lague wrote:
>tell me more about self burned CD's........sounds like crap to me.
>
>and reading files........umh

Not all CDs are created equal, and just because it says Sony, or TDK, or
whatever on the front, it doesn't matter. The big names just get their
stuff from OEM. And yes, some of the CDs are really bad. Data loss of 2
years or less is not that common but it can happen.

There are good CDs that you can get. Mitsui, which we use for our products,
is one of the good ones. There are others. Do a google search and I am sure
you'll find something.

As for reading files, just make sure to copy your old stuff onto the latest
archival materials once in a while, and you should be OK. If you still have
paper tapes, do start worrying :-) If you have things in tapes or 8 in
floppies, then start to look around to see if you can dump them onto CDs or
DVDs.

If you use DVDs, make sure in a few years to check to sure that whatever
format you use is still prevalent. There are zillions of formats and some
of them will die.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>