Re: [OM] Albert's quest

Subject: Re: [OM] Albert's quest
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:02:04 -0400
My appologies.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Moose
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 7:36 PM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bdcolen wrote:

>2. Anyone who suggests that shooting a wedding using digital requires
>more bodies and more money is smoking some really cheap crack

I haven't done a wedding in over 30 years, and pretend no expertise.

One thing I do believe is that this kind of "cheap crack" at someone on
the list who expresses their opinon about photographic matters clearly,
pleasantly and directly is uncalled for and rude. I realize it is easy
to type something like this on the impersonal screen and there can be
the feeling that one is addressing the world at large. While that is
true in one sense, it is also true that you are replying to a specific
response from a particular person, and it sounds a whole lot like a
personal attack: "Your brain is addled and you are saying bullshit." is
how it sounds to me.

I don't think such a way of posing one's opinion is appropriate in this
forum, whether the content is true or not. I also don't think it is
appropriate whether the person whose opinionss are being commented on is

new to the list or an old timer, knowledgeable or a novice. The rest of
the post makes clear and specific points to counter to the original
position and makes your disagreement very clear. Isn't that enough?
Without name calling?

In the case at hand, John is an old an highly respected member of this
on-line community, whose extensive knowledge has been of value to many
of us more than a few times. He is patient and through in answering
questions, a real asset. Whether he is off base for one time out of many

or not, I don't know, but I do know he deserves better treatment than
this. He is also an experienced wedding photographer whose site full of
info on the practice of wedding and portrait photography is another
great asset.

I think you make valuable contributions to the list and would like them
to continue. I have attempted to make a clear and non confrontive
statement of my opinions about a part of the content of your post that
is clearly factually inaccurate and, in my opinion, inapproporiately
confrontive. Should you feel any need to respond to me an any way that I

or others might find agressive or abusive, I ask you first to consider
the care I have taken to be clear and straightforward without being
disrepectful and that any way in which I have failed at that is a
failing due inadequacy in carying out my purpose and not in the purpose
itself. Second, I would ask that you keep any such reply off-line.

Yours respectfully,
    Moose