Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:08:17 -0700
I'm going to weave in my answers with Albert's post, then finish at the
bottom... thanks if you read through it all <g>

on 9/1/03 5:59 PM, Albert at olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am just curious, as I am sure almost everybody has something other
> than their OM.
>
> So I was wondering, do you have:
>
> 1)  Digital

Yes, I had an Olympus D-360L (1.3MP, no zoom) then got an Olympus C2020Z
(2.1MP, 3x zoom). At some point I'd like to get a digital SLR, but income
and the category have to settle down some. I'm still interested in recent
and continuing developments in digital, so while OT I don't really mind.
Also, my 35mm OM plans include the 'digital darkroom' using my SprintScan
4000 and recently acquired Epson 1200 'jumbo size' printer, so the output
side of the digital discussions is definitely of interest and on-topic IMO.

> 2)  Medium Format

I recently acquired a Rolleiflex, and a Rolleicord, and my first 'real'
camera was a Minolta Autocord... so MF will be of interest to me someday.
Also, I have a couple of 120 rangefinders somewhere that will probably get
used to 'try out' the MF realm. I haven't figured out how to economically
get this into my digital output plans yet though.

> 3)  Large Format

I don't plan on getting a 4x5 anytime soon. So this isn't part of my party,
so to speak...

> 4)  Another 35mm system

As a 'camera collector' as much as photographer, I have many 35mm cameras,
some Le$ca equipment, which I love (screw mount and M-mount). I also have a
fair Nik*n manual-focus setup, a Min*lta M*xxum small setup, a small Can*n
EOS IX (APS format -- how about that?!) setup, a fair amount of Pent*x
K-mount equipment, both Pent*x and other brands... as well as a major subset
of the 35mm rangefinders of the 1960's and 1970's. Also some submini and
half-frame (I am passionate about Olympus Pen F gear). So other 35mm
equipment, while peripheral to to the stated intentions of the OM list, is
not too far from my interests. For instance, I'd love to get a Cont*x IIa
and some lenses, and I've been 'sitting in' on the C*sina Voigtl*nder list
for some time as I may get some of their lenses to use with my Le$ca
bodies...

> As you probably all know, and are bored to death with it, I was going to
> plot down and get a medium format, but the (conflicting) advice of those
> around me, have told me I'll be happier with digital as a suppliment, as
> if I don't do 8x10's often, medium format doesn't buy me all that much,
> where as digital, instant review and endless adjustments is a better
> road to take..

Albert, I think if you want to try MF, you should look for a MF folding
camera, either rangefinder or non, from the late 1950's or 1960's. Some of
these old cameras have really good lenses (look for a Tessar formula lens)
and given the lesser magnifications required for MF you could 'get your feet
wet' for much less money, perhaps under $100. Then if you want, buy a good
condition Rolleiflex for $300 or so, they can produce phenomenal pictures,
and if its in good condition you need not fear put-downs from the camera
snobs (and yes, I think that's what they are from how you describe them...)
that you hang out with. When I pull out a Le$ca M-3, I don't feel bad
because its not an M-6, I think "Gee, too bad they didn't hand fit all your
internals like they did when they made -this- camera..." No plastic in those
old cameras, and they can still work -pretty good-!

> And no, none of them will replace my OM.  I love my OM, and what's more,
> it's paid for..
>
> I'd love a digital SLR (and I'd like it to be another Olympus as well)
> but from the cost and quality I see, not really an option right now.
>
> Thanks.
> Albert.
>
> (And people, what is up with being rude on this list lately?  A simple
> "I respectfully disagree" is just fine.  No need to make this into a
> C*non list)

I'd like to see everyone just take each other with a little more slack, a
bit of 'forgiving grace' when you read something that you -might- want to
get upset about. Face-to-face most of us would not be so strident as we
'sound' in print, so if we can try to be more gracefully understanding we
will regain and sustain the civility that I think is the norm of this list
most of the time...

Thanks for reading my long-winded post.
--

Jim Brokaw