Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Poll, What supplements your OM?
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:21:32 +0800
One of the problems I find is that with digital, I won't have my "bad sessions".. Which is probably what improves my photography the most..

I sit down with my photo album and ask "What could I have done to make this a better picture?" Composition, lighting, where did I meter, etc.. The sessions teach me quite a bit..

I had 2 of those sessions with my gf, and her pics have VASTLY improved, from P&P (Point and Pray) to actually producing decent pics.. She didn't think so, until we all got together to show our pics and she compared them to her friends.. WOW! What a difference..

I do like the immediate feedback of digital though..

I am waiting for when I can afford both (I have to pick one right now) because the Digital would be a great previewer for the MF.. Once I get the shot down in the digital, then I take it with the MF.. That would be great... Probably the great mutual benefit that I will head towards.

Albert

Gregg Iverson wrote:
Albert wrote:

> And I might become forever a "shoot, review, adjust"
> person... which doesn't make me a better photographer, but
> I will have all pretty shots and have deleted all the bad ones..

I suppose you might, but it isn't likely. It is easier to shoot a photo correctly than to spend time going through the menu to look at what you just shot. I think it might make the learning curve better if you can see immediately what your mistakes were so you can correct them. I found it helpful though, this summer, to look at the image just to see if the placement of lights was correct for the portraits I was shooting. The lights had to be adjusted for a single person and then a family group. Since we did not have a flash meter, we could take a peek at the first shot, adjust, then shoot away.

You make a valid point about deleting all the "bad" ones. Sometimes I will keep a "bad" photo only to find later that I like it. And, even bad photos tell us something about the location, culture, etc. that someone, years later may find informative. Only, now it won't be there.

gregg