Re: [OM] Film Reciprocity Failure question

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Reciprocity Failure question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 02:25:01 -0500
At 12:35 AM 9/2/03, Albert wrote:

Is there a chart, magic formula, prayer, chant etc.. that I can do to find out more?

Yes . . . the complete data sheet for the specific film in question. Each film differs in its reciprocity failure characteristics. With color film, it's not just exposure compensation. Each color layer in the emulsion has its own reciprocity failure characteristics which may or may not match that of other color layers. For this reason, most color films also require color correction filters, usually given by filter "CC" number, and multiple filters is the norm, not the exception. With color negative, a good printer can compensate most if not all of the color shift provided the exposure is decently accurate (properly compensated). With transparency, what you shot is what you got, color shift and all.

BTW, Kodachrome 64's published reciprocity failure occurs at exposures longer than 1/10th second. I've made exposures as long as one to two seconds with zero exposure or color correction compensation without too much problem. YMMV with K-64 and other films.

-- John