[OM] A "Fang" . . . Sort Of

Subject: [OM] A "Fang" . . . Sort Of
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 03:03:31 -0500
Just concluded a deal this weekend to play gaffer and grip for another photographer who has a large wedding to shoot next weekend. In return for my services he gave me a complete Metz 60 CT-4 rig that he could never get to work properly (reliably) with his Nik*n F100. Since I already have a number of smaller Metz units I also have a number of OM SCA modules and cords. The 60 CT series is a T-45 plus one more stop of power (GN = 60, meters; ~200, feet). There has been more than one occasion in the past when I wished for this level of power in a potato masher handle (when not using a bracket mounted flash).

As I suspected when examining it, he simply didn't know how to use it, especially properly charging the dryfit battery to a full charge. Got it home, ran the dryfit through a complete charging cycle and played with it for several hours with an OM-2S. It works just fine in all modes. Figured out all the controls for it in about 10 minutes, and a quick web search revealed the meaning of the charging lights plus the required charging time. My services for a Saturday evening and night next weekend in return for it is more than a good deal.

I do have one question if someone has used one of these things before. The dryfit appears to charge properly and the flash operates flawlessly. However, the dryfit battery is not new; it's about four years old. When plugged into the flash handle and turned on after a full charging cycle, the red light on top of the battery slab box next to the power switch blinks. Is this "normal" operation, or is indicative of something else?

Thanks,
-- John