Re: [OM] Albert's quest

Subject: Re: [OM] Albert's quest
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:51:54 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I wouldn't dispute the flash capability.  About half my weddings are "no
> flash" during the ceremony itself.  The person officiating has the final
> word on the matter . . . along with restrictions on where I cannot be
> during the ceremony.  Some are quite restrictive.

I mentioned the E-20 because it is an Olympus and it has no mirror noise,
the low ISO speed is a problem though. But the very usable F2 aperture can
put it one or two stops faster than normal zoom.

> >  If digital's color is not good I don't see how film can work out.
>
> The great majority of the few "problem shots" can eventually be pulled in
> to match the rest.  The time it takes to work these few exceptions isn't
> small though.  There is also the time spent ensuring everything is
> consistently the same throughout over a large number of prints.

You can fix the white balance and you will get exactly the same color
sensitive for every shoot. I'm sure it is more consistant than film and much
easier to do post adjustment.

> >If you really need available light ISO1600 you need a N*kon or C*non,
> >they are less grainly than film.
>
> Last I looked, the max for Nikon was ISO 800, but that may have changed.
> use 1600 color and 3200 B&W only for the ceremony itself (and indoors) and
> only if no flash is allowed.  I personally prefer it that way, but the
> client's desires come first with the persion officating the ceremony
having
> the last word on the matter.  It's exceptionally rare if any of them are
> ever made bigger than a 4x6.  Everything else is done using Portra 160NC
> and the portraiture of the bride/groom (individually and together) are
> medium format, for exactly the grain reasons you mention.

Both N and C provide ISO3200 and the C provide very usable ISO1600. At
ISO100 the grain is better than MF for the same size of enlargement.

> >I think most pro edit digital file themselves, in most cases you need
less
> >than 2 minutes for a picture.

> With digital, this workload shifts by necessity to
> the studio regardless of its size, business model and revenue.  Labs
charge
> for printing digital files as if they're reprints (at least 3X the cost of
> proofs from film made when it's developed).  The capital investment is
> lower, but that doesn't alleviate  the time required to do all the
> work.  It's the reason an assistant must help with routine "back end" work
> leaving [hopefully] a few "problem image" exceptions for the photographer
> to deal with personally.

May be you will found a low cost digital lab soon, with a proper printer
profile you can do your own adjustment and send to the lab for direct
output, no extra lab labor is involved, the cost is as cheap as one hour lab
for printing film. You get full control of the result, even a pro lab is not
always give you what you wanted.

> BTW:
> Weddings in the U.S. for "first marriages" are unlike those nearly
> everywhere else in the world, including Europe.  IMHO it involves our
> culture, how girls are raised here, and the commercialization of weddings
> that touts all manner of "must haves." .........

Thanks for the details about your wedding culture.

C.H.Ling