Re: [OM] Albert's quest

Subject: Re: [OM] Albert's quest
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:38:19 -0400
Allow me to politely disagree with some of this. A guy like Dennis
Reggie is definitely shooting "carriage trade" - and charging as much as
$35K to do it. And he is doing it with Canon digital, and was doing it
with Canon EOS film 35mm and Hassle lad - expensive, but we're not
talking equipment costing more than an SUV, nor are we talking 4x5s.
Yes, I'm sure there are some wedding photographer's shooting that way,
but I am also sure their results are no better, and in many cases not
nearly as good, as those of people using more "mundane" equipment.

Two, Reggie, who shoots the likes of the Kennedys, has stated on
numerous occasions that he can count on one hand the number of times
anyone ever ordered a print over 8x10.

We could go back and forth, over and over this...But..there is no need
to constantly upgrade computer hardware anymore..and upgrading has
gotten cheap. There is also no need to upgrade digital equipment once
you have reached the point where the equipment turns out the quality you
need for the work you're doing. And digital is definitely at that point.

Beyond that, how does the lab "tweek the curves to get the fucia dress
to look fucia" when it not only hasn't seen the fucia dress, it doesn't
even know that it IS a fucia dress; and it certainly doesn't know what
that fucia dress looked like under the particular mix of lighting
present in the church, the bride's mother's house, or the reception
site. The bride knows, and the photographer knows - but the lab doesn't
know.

Anyway, this is, as I have said, really all a matter of personal opinion
and preference. If one is convinced, for whatever reason, that they
should be shooting something - or everything - with film, then that is
precisely what they should be doing. We are talking about an art form
here - it may have commercial ends, but it is an art form. And it's up
to the artist to decide what tools and media to use. If he or she makes
the wrong choices, and is doing work for a customer/patron, there will
be hell to pay. And that's where the film hits the developer and the
electrons hit....

Best

B. D.